Hey Tyler, my typical mornings would be up at 6.30 with a strong black tea and then i'd prob have my first meal at 8am (way it is with work etc). I'm currently on a cut, but wondering if I should get some sort of protein in before 8 or if it makes little difference? How long do you normally have between waking and your first meal?
21 August 2012
Tyler - I suggest eating your first meal as soon as you wake up with your black tea. Your body has been fasting all night and in order to keep it anabolic you should give it nutrients as soon as you get up. On days that I don't do my morning cardio I eat as soon as I get up. On days that I do my cardio I'll take 10g of BCAA before doing cardio and directly after I'll have my first meal.
Hey Tyler, I am currently going through a workout crisis. I am currently on holiday and on my week 6 of TMT-Phase 1. Wasn't able to go to the gym on Monday and Tuesday it was closed. I might be able to hit the gym on Wednesday but then I have to skip 1 workout day for a rest day in between week 6 and 7. Should I just take a whole week off or just sacrifice 1 workout day for a rest day.
21 August 2012
Tyler - I would only take a full week off if you feel like your body needs a break. If my gym was closed Monday and Tuesday from a holiday but open for the rest of the week I would just train 5 days in a row to make sure I got all my days in still.
Vodka is a better option than beer if I want to protect my abs right? it has less carbs correct?
18 August 2012
Tyler - IMO Vodka is a better option than beer.
Hi Tyler, Your blog had been a true inspiration to me! I'm 34 now and untill à year ago I had real idea about training, nutrition, rest, mindsett, to be honest. Altough training for more than 10 years, being nicknamed the ' muscular nail' though, I have always been an ectomoph 'no gainer', weigthing 155 but never more... ( at 6'3 lenght and 10% bf. 6 months ago, I started to include the nutrition element and did take my fitness to another level.. Your blog and TMT Fase 1 did the rest.. Now I weigh 182 with bf 8%. Still lean but Much more mass. I have experienced it as à tough but very rewarding process! Keep up THE good work with your blog, Kind Regards, Henk, The Netherlands
18 August 2012
Tyler - Thanks for the update Henk! And congrats to all of your fitness success thus far..keep up the hard work and much more progress to come!
How do you do one arm t-bar rows? Between the legs or beside? Also, what are your thoughts on pwo cardio? Would you advise it after your TMT workouts? Thanks!
16 August 2012
Tyler - It's going to be beside your legs. I'll make a demo video of the exercise. Make sure to position yourself where you can get a full stretch of the lats. My thoughts on post workout cardio is depending on how long the session will be. If your only going to be doing 10-15 minutes then I would say that is fine. But if your going longer then that I would keep them done apart. Your main focus once getting done with weight training should be to start the rebuild process with flushing your body with the proper nutrients right away.
Tyler - check last weeks post I put up a chest workout that I've been using quite a bit
Hey, well first I'm sorry for my English I'm Chilean, well thing is I'm 18 Ive been all my life really skinny I weight 66 kg nd my height is about 1.83 or something, i have really fast metabolism, I'm following ur work out routines nd can eat stuff like bars with chocolate nf stuff to balance the calories I've left to eat for the day or I just eat healthy cause I never eat the calories enough, cause I eat a few things nf I'm already full. Thanks a lot for ur blog nf helping each evrery1 of us nd I'm trying ur workouts nd damn they work I'm getting abs thanks a lot again dude
30 January 2012
Tyler - Even though you have a fast metabolism you still want the majority of your calories to be clean food. But definitely have a few cheat meals a week.
Tyler, was just curiouis how muhc cardio you do per week for how long and what types? Do you do steady state eg walkiing or interval? I always have this tiny bit of abdominal fat that I can never seem to shake! Peace!
30 January 2012
Tyler - I do all steady state cardio. Right now I'm doing 1 session a day 6 days a week for 45minutes. Either walking on an incline or stepmill.
When trying to put on mass, did you ever do weighted dips or weighted pull ups? Im debating on buying a dip belt to really shock my lats and tris into growth for pullups and dips.
28 January 2012
Tyler - I have done weighted pullups and dips before but prefer not to. For the pullups I could never feel it in my back from the added weight because I felt that my arms and shoulders were doing all the work. Give it a try though and see if you like it and how your body responds to it.
I AM TAKING 3 GLASS OF BANANA SHAKE ,..1 GLASS OF MILK IN WHICH 1 SCOOP OF WAYPROTEIN AFTER GYM...AND IN BREAKFAST I AM EATING 3 BOIL EGGS...AND IN LUNCH CHICKEN AMD WHITE MEET USE....THIS DIET IS ENOUGH FOR ME I AM MAKE NOT A BIG BODY I WANT TO MAKE A FIT BODY MEANS HEALTHY BODY
26 January 2012
Tyler - not sure what your trying to ask me?
Hey Tyler--great blog. I am 24, 5'11'' 170lbs, about 10-12%BF. I've been training for a little over 2 years, and I've added 30lbs of muscle in those 2 years. My goal now is to get to a lean 195, but over the past 4-6 months I've seen almost no progress in strength, size, or weight gain. My diet is not totally clean but I'm getting a decent quality 4000-4500 cal, 250-300g protein, 500-600g carbs per day, spread over 5-6 meals and protein shakes. By the time I leave the gym 5-6X a week, I leave with a big pump, feel like I lifted hard, and almost always have some degree of DOMS which leads me to believe that I still have effective workouts. Do you have any advice for those of us who are stuck at a plateau like this? At this point, is it just a matter of upping diet portions, or is it more of a workout problem?
26 January 2012
Tyler - From the sounds of it your still making progress. It's just going to take more time now that you've already finished your initial growth spurt that you get from the first couple of years. That being said I would think about trying out different food sources and experimenting around and seeing if that can help. Also you didn't mention any fat intake. To build lean mass you have to have healthy fats. So make sure you incorporate things like nuts,oils,avocado etc. Adding the fat could yield some new gains. Good luck hope this helps.
another day down, another day closer to when i leave thursday am. my intensity is great. my strength is still where it always is and i'm running off of roughly 60g of carbs. they are all taken in my first 2 meals. my second meal is at 8:15am. so i'm running off of protein and greens the rest of the day. today i trained at 4:45pm here is the workout
- Pullups bodyweight - 3x12
- standing db rows - 3x12 one drop set on the last set
- reverse grip pulldowns superset reverse grip bb rows 3x12 one dropset on the last set of pulldowns
- standing rope pulldowns superset weighted hyper ext 3x12
- narrow grip pulldowns superset reverse pec dec 3x12
- 10 min jump rope
- after 10 min did 1 min intervals superseted with rope crunches and bench crunches. 3x12 (rope crunch) , bench sit ups to failure around 30ish reps
along with back i did biceps and calves. i rode my bike on this gorgeous day of 71 in the end of november isn't too bad eh? so here's my routine. it was around 1pm today.
- weighted pull ups - 4 sets one set bodyweight warm up then worked up to 75lb for 5 reps then a drop with my bodyweight on that last set
- knee on bench db rows - 3x12 80,90,100lb
- overhand straight bar overhand rows super set narrow grip pulldowns 3x10-12
- t-bar row superset deadlifts 3x12
- straight bar cable standing pulldowns superset benhind the neck pulldowns
- standing db curls 2x20
- standing cable curls superset standing calves 2 sets of curls and 4 total sets for calves
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
- standing db row 3x12
- narrow grip pulldowns 3x12
- reverse grip bb rows 3x10-12
- deadlifts superset rope standing pulldowns 3x10-12
- reverse grip pulldowns superset seated concentration curls 3x12-15
- stairclimber hiit 20 min 1 min recovery 1 min hiit on level 10 recover was level 4
and that was it. another good one. i'm going to take tom off from the weights and go for a run outside. friday i'll be filming shoulders so i should have that up saturday morning on my youtube channel!
Friday, November 5, 2010
another awesome workout! i think now i’m extra hyped up so my intensity just cranked up a knotch that i didn’t even think i was capable of. running off of 27 carbs for my first meal and roughly 25 afterwards and i feel pretty good here’s the routine
- weighted pullups 4×5 one dropset with bodyweight to failure
- narrow grip pulldowns 4×10-12
- overhand barbell rows 3×12
- reverse grip seated row 3×12
- machine seated rows superset one arm knee on bench db row 3×12
- rope pulldowns superset weighted hyperext 3×12
- incline db curls 3×10-12
no cardio today here is a pic i took today. little over 200lb now.
despite being lower on calories i’m getting some of my most amazing workouts. getting tighter and feeling great. for todays routine i always start my back workouts with chins because it’s something that i really feel like i need to get better at. i usually do 3 sets to failure which would be first set 15 reps, second 10 third 8. i feel like i always just fatigue easy so i started today a new technique that i suggest anyone that wants to improve in overall back strength while boosting your chin reps to give it a try. here’s the routine
- wide grip chins - first set bodyweight 5 reps,2nd set add 10lb 5 reps,3rd 25lb 5 reps,4th set 45lb 5 reps,5th set 45lb 5 reps take the weight off then do body weight to failure i got 8. and on the last 2 reps i did negatives
- seated cable narrow grip row - 3×12 one dropset
- reverse grip pulldowns - x12 one dropset
- standing db row - 3×12 one dropset
- row machine,tbar rows,deadlifts 3×12 did it as a tri-set
- cambered bar 21’s 3 sets
- 20 minutes stairclimber hiit 1 min 5.0 2 min 8.0 back in forth to 20
i’m going back up to the gym later on today to do 20 minutes of hiit again and some light ab work. posting a music update later on!! happy halloween!!
Sunday, October 24, 2010
here is today's routine
- chins 2 sets wide grip and one set reverse narrow grip did all three sets to failure
- tbar rows 3 total sets first set 30 reps, second set 20 reps and last set 10 reps
- narrow grip pulldowns 3x12
- reverse grip bb rows 3x12
- seated row superset standing rope rows 3x12-15
- one arm db row on bench 3x12 superset hyperext 3x15
finished up with 2 exercises for bi's just to get some blood in them.
- spyder curls 3x15
- seated concentration curls 3x15
i'm going to take the pups for a hike and relax the rest of the day watch some football and dexter later on. hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
this morning back routine
- chins 3x15
- standing db row 3x12
- wide grip pulldown 2x12
- reverse grip pulldown 3x12 one dropset
- reverse grip bb row 4x10-12 one dropset
- seated cable row narrow grip 3x12
- deadlifts superset rope standing pulldowns
- standing db curls 3x12 and one set of 50reps
taking the day off of cardio.